Tuesday, January 5, 2010

How it all Began....

This blog started it all... http://sherri-infinityartworks.blogspot.com/ ...the adventure of selling my art on the street and the expression of writing about it. Its amazing how simple musings can change your world. Part of a recent blogging epiphany came in the form of these words:

Gypsy Heart

When I was a little girl growing up, I had a lot of nic-names... the one I remember most is my Mom and Grandmother calling me a gypsy.  The other day I thought about this name and decided to look it up...
The word 'Gypsy' derives from Egyptian. It emerged in Europe, in the 15th century, after their migration into the land of the Romani people (or Roma) in that continent. They received this name because they fitted the European image of dark-skinned Egyptians skilled in witchcraft.When they first arrived at numerous places in Europe they claimed to be from Egypt, and required to travel for seven years as penance for abandonment or renunciation of one's religion. As the time elapsed, the notion of Gypsy evolved including other stereotypes, like nomad ism and exoticism.  Gypsy's are described as inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. John Matthews in The World Atlas of Divination refer to gypsies as "Wise Women."


Anyone who really knows me, might actually know that this is a pretty accurate description of fundamentally of who I am.... 


Funny, Mom was right about this one...Or was it that they planted this seed, in calling me a gypsy, that grew inside of me and into who I am today? 


From those words, a new mindset was born. A switch to the true self, reborn. Everything is changing because of those words...the way choose to express myself and my art, the nomadic lifestyle I am about to embark upon...my Gypsy Heart set free. Free to roam and experience people and life in a whole new way...creating from a whole new perspective.

For now melancholy is what I feel most of the time, as I think back to all the life I lived here, friends made and friends lost, the search for my true voice as an artist, lazy days in the sun, selling my art in public forum for the first time...

7 years is a long time and now I am selling off all that I've accumulated in this life here in St Augustine. The "things" so many if us hold onto...things that make you feel comfortable, important, hip and cool...It is a changing of how I see myself and, in turn, how life and everything in it sees me. Stripped away will be the material...nothing but the truest self to be seen. The true beauty within, instead of the beautiful things I had around me. So, yes, melancholy I am.

The excitement and intrigue of life "on the road". Traveling to places I've both been and never been...and all the people, places and experiences they will bring...Introducing myself and Gypsy Heart Designs to a new world. Uncertainty and anxiety intermingle with the melancholy as I embark on this new adventure we call life...and as I sit here writing these words. Here's hoping my Gypsy Heart doesn't get broken along the way...for that is my greatest fear...the harsh realities and pain that life can bring...but until that day comes, my Gypsy Heart is struggling a bit to be set free...on the never ending search for true happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment